The 2019 Externship Program application period is open! We encourage all interested 10th and 11th grade girls to apply by January 6, 2019 (late submissions will not be accepted).
English application https://goo.gl/4hcuAn
Spanish application https://goo.gl/4qLD2Q
The Girls Inc. Externship Program is designed to give sophomores and juniors in high school the opportunity to explore career options in their areas of interest, while participating in interactive activities focusing on workforce development, financial literacy, and college preparedness. After a series of school-year sessions and a training week the end of June, girls are placed at various businesses and organizations within Orange County for approximately 20 hours a week during the month of July.
What are Externships?
Our Externs are considered interns for Girls Inc. of Orange County, but complete their hours externally at an outside placement. Placements are partner organizations, business, and firms around Orange County that host our Externs during the month of July. Externships are designed so girls can gain critical skills in workplace dynamics, leadership development, college readiness and career exploration through hands-on experience.
What workforce skills do Girls Inc. Externs develop?
Prior to starting her summer Externship, each Extern participates in a life skills training program focusing on professionalism, business etiquette, written, verbal and non-verbal communication, time management, telephone and computer skills.
Program benefits for Girls Inc. Externs:
- Find out what careers are best for her
- Be able to amp up her resume with hands-on work experience
- Learn about attending college
- Network and receive advice from professionals who are in her fields of interest
- Earn $500 after her Externship placement site during July
- Learn how to invest and save the money she earns
- Campus tours of universities throughout Southern California
Benefits for host organization:
- Directly involves employees and staff in unique philanthropic opportunity
- Develops potential future employees
- Generates pride and engagement
- Enhances reputation in community or industry
Past Externship sponsors:
Caduceus Medical Group – Yorba Linda
Caduceus Medical Group-Laguna Hills
Coast Community College District
Coastline Community College
Commerce West Bank
Data Trace Title
Girls Inc. Eureka!
Global Benefits Group
CSUF Grant Central Art Center
Golden West College
OC Human Relations
Orange Coast College
OEM Materials & Supplies
Rehrig Pacific Company
Rutan and Tucker
Shlemmer Algaze Associates
Squar Milner, LLP
The Dot Corporation
The Renewed Company
For more information about being a Girls Inc. extern or to host one of our amazing girls at your company, please contact Jessica Ross, Externship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (714) 597-8612.